Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, July 28, 2008

Day Three - Bad News





Version 2.0 of Monday written Friday Morning.

Monday was not a good day.

After breakfast I made a trip back home. I stopped off at Barnes & Noble to buy a baby name book. While there I also bought a book on preemies.

Meanwhile, back at United, Deanna visited Christine.

I had been told on Sunday to expect the results of the head ultrasounds around five. The results came back early and they came to Christine’s room before I was back. She was alone with the doctor when she got the information back on the potential bleeding in the head. They both have bleeding. The scale goes from one to four; four being the worst. The girl has Level 2 bleeding. The boy has Level 4 bleeding. I got back about an hour after she had been told the news.

After dealing with that for a while we broke open the name book. Then Christine was served dinner. Soon, the Aspen doctor on call, Dr. Woo, not her regular doctor, and not the one who had done the cesarean, stopped in. He decided she would not be going home Tuesday at noon but probably Wednesday at noon.

Then Pastor Steve from Grace Church Roseville stopped in along with the music director Adam and his wife. They were the first non-hospital staff to hear the news. I called my parents after that to let them know as well.

We then went down to the twin’s room and spoke with the staff again about their condition. With Christine temporarily out of the room I asked some more pointed questions and learned how bad the boy had been during the day. In addition to the head bleed issues he had not been doing well at all for part of the afternoon. They could not give me odds of his surviving the night (in retrospect an unfair question to ask them) but assured me that should the end be near there were things they can and would do to make sure he was still alive by the time we would be able to get there from Christine’s room.

Our friends, identical twins, Doris and Darlene visited in the evening. We couldn’t bring ourselves to talk with them about the specifics of the day but it was a nice diversion from the grim news of the afternoon.

At the end of the day we sat with the twins for a couple of hours and finished the process of picking their names. We decided to sleep on it to make sure we still liked what we had decided on in the morning.