Today was a long day, but good day, that I will write about in more detail later. For now I wanted to share a story from this afternoon at the hospital.
Christine and I were walking back to the ramp when we got behind two people walking slowly. One, I recognized as one of the social workers who had been there the morning Ryan died. The other was a young woman (although almost all the parents in the NICU that we see in the halls look young to me). Anyway, we overheard their conversation and the girl was talking about her daughter by name, a name that matched one of the street signs I mentioned the other night. Then we heard her say how she was upset that her twins were separated again in different rooms (due to one of the twins having some sort of infection).
At that point the social worker offered to let us pass them. I couldn't help but ask the girl if her twins had been in room 42. They had. We talked for a few minutes. Her twins were born at 23 weeks and they have been in the NICU in various rooms for the last four months. Her husband is deployed in Iraq so she is on her own for this ordeal.
Christine and I were so glad to hear that although we had assumed the worst when we saw the empty room, her girls are both still alive. Please pray for her and her family.

